Archive for the ‘Neuroscience’ Category
Neuroscience is a branch of science dedicated to studying the human nervous system. Neuroscience was earlier regarded as an essential part of Human Studies or Biology but now, it is regarded as a specialized niche since it is so vast and involves continuous exploration apart from its collaboration with many other scientific fields including Psychology, Chemistry, Engineering, Mathematics, Biochemistry and Medicine apart from using the basics of Physics and Statistics. Many times, Neuroscience is also referred to as Neurobiology. Either ways, this scientific field seeks to understand the working of nervous system in its entirety. This means studying about the various kinds of nerves, nerve plexus, neural pathways and neurons that form the human nervous system. It includes studying about every part of the nervous system, i.e. the central and peripheral nervous system at the cellular, developmental and molecular level.
Neuroscience has been at the heart of developing various methods involved in understanding, identifying and managing various kinds of neurological disorders. The use of brain imaging systems is just of the many contributions that Neuroscience has made towards alleviating the symptoms associated with neurological disorders. Neuroscience itself is further divided into many niches and each of these fields is dedicated towards a particular part of resolving/treating neurological problems. This includes:
- Neurology-related to in-depth study and research about the neurons, i.e. the most basic constituent of the nervous system.
- Psychiatry-dedicated to understanding how the human psyche reacts or changes to any imperfections or problems in the neurological functioning of the individual.
- Neurosurgery-a specialized field of medicine where surgeons specialize in handling surgeries that involve the nerves or other components of the nervous system.
- Psychosurgery-this is a specialized branch of neurosurgery itself that is dedicated towards resolving mental disorders emanating from neurological disorders.
- Neuropathology-a branch of Neurosciences that focuses upon studying the various diseases or disease-causing entities that affect the nervous system.
- Neuroradiology-a specialization within the niche of radiological studies that seeks to resolve the problems of the central and peripheral nervous system.
- Addiction Medicine-one of the few medical specialties that addresses problems of the nervous system induced by substance/drug abuse
- Neuroimaging-includes the use of various neuroimaging technologies to either to image the structure, function and pharmacology of the brain. It is a relatively new advancements within medical imaging, neuroscience and psychology.